Sunday, April 22, 2012

Spelling Sticks

Happy Sunday! I wanted to share an idea with y'all for a spelling station.  This idea is not an original idea but when I saw a teacher at my school do it- I could not believe I had not thought of it before.  Get some craft sticks and write one spelling word on each stick.  You can put these in a cup or a baggie.  Students play together.  When it is one student's turn, a classmate picks a stick for them and tells them the word.  If the student spells the word correctly he or she will get to keep the stick.  The student with the most sticks at the end of the game wins.  You could also do this with math facts for a math station.
It is a such a simple idea that I never even thought about it! My kids love this game.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Katie!

    This sounds like a simple and fun game!! I've been wanting to come up with a fun spelling game for my students to start playing and this is perfect!!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! I just might have to give this a try! Just found your blog! I am now your newest follower! When you get a chance, check out my new blog.
    :D Angie
    http://timeoutsandtootsierolls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh yes, the simple ideas are often the most brilliant. :) ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete