Sunday, May 8, 2011

It is the end of the Year-What do I do with my Kids?!?

The school year is winding down and the kids just seem to be winding up!  Testing is over and everyone is getting restless.  So what is a girl to do with twenty kids at the end of the school year?  This is something that I have been thinking about a lot this weekend.  So here are some ideas to keep your kids busy and learning!
1.  Revisit favorite books and stories from the year and do the extensions you did not have time for like writing and crafts
2.  Have a spelling or math or science competition with another class or grade level
3. Make a class memory book- I have seen several of these on TpT
4. Talk to the teachers in the grade level above you about what their students this year needed more preparation or practice with.  Or go ahead and start introducing some of the skills and concepts they might see next year.
5. Schedule a guest speaker.  This could be a friend or relative with an interesting job.  My mom is coming to do an activity with my students before school is out!
6. Find lessons you want to use next year and try them out on your kids.  It won't hurt your kids and you can fine tune them before next year.
7. Do an author study or a short literature unit with a picture book

I hope these ideas are helpful! I know how easy it is be lazy this time of year but your kids still deserve the best instruction you can give them!

0 comments:

Post a Comment