Thursday, June 23, 2011

Pictures!

I felt so frustrated that I did not get much accomplished last time I went to school! So I took yesterday to think and regroup.  Yesterday I went and bought library pockets to attach inside the back covers of all my books.  Today I started gluing them in and writing the titles on index cards.  That way when a student wants to check out a book, he or she will simply take the index card from the book and place it in a pocket chart with their name on in.  I got a few baskets done before I ran out of glue!  Then I sorted through most of my books and relabeled the baskets by author and genre.  I added stickers to the front of the basket and to each book so kids can replace books easily.  Here are some pictures of my work (and all the work I have left to do!)

These are the baskets I completely finished

The baskets that still need their pockets and cards

Close Up!

Books I still need to sort

My closet- I still need to figure out how to organize my paper.  Any ideas?

9 comments:

  1. Cute!! Great work! I have a friend that turned magazine holders sideways and stored her paper in them like that. You can also turn them so the shorter side of the rack is the base and place them parallel to each other....that might be a bad explanation, so I'll have to get a picture to show you! I have mine sitting in those wire desk trays, inside my cabinet. Great progress, can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,
    OMG!! Love the idea of the library pockets in the back of the book with a card. I had a laminated "check out" list last year but it didn't work great and I usually ended up missing books. Love your idea, gotta use it!! Wish I could get into my room to start working on it!! Where did you get the pockets and cards???

    4thgradefrolics.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is such a great idea!! thanks for sharing!
    -Victoria
    http://washandlearn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just pinned this today, I thought it was a cute way to organize paper! http://pinterest.com/pin/49035951/

    Hadar
    Miss Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pics!! Where did you find your blog design? It is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm admiring your check out system. Do you let students take your books home, or just read them in class?

    Denise
    Yearn to Learn Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miss J- I found my blog background at Hot Bliggity Blog. The template is just a blogger template that I edited to match the background. Glad you like it!

    Denise- I do let my kids take the books home. They do not always make their way back to my room but if a kid is reading then it is worth it!

    Tara- I got the library pockets at my local teacher store. They had a big box of them. Office supply stores and most teacher stores should have them. They do make cards to go in them but I am just using plain old index cards from the dollar tree. They are a lot cheaper and easier to replace.

    Thanks for all your comments and questions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great progress! You are so lucky you can get into your room...we will get our keys around 2 weeks before school starts! Thanks for joining my linky party!
    ~Audrey
    The Sweet Life of Third Grade

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Great start! I order library pockets from a company called brodart. They have self adhesive ones and a box of 500 is about 25 bucks. Totally worth it and they last too! I did mine about five years ago and they are going strong.

    ReplyDelete