Saturday, June 16, 2012

Guided Math- Chapter Two

Photobucket



Third Grade Gridiron is hosting Guided Math: Chapter two.  Head over to her blog to see what others are saying about Chapter Two.  I will be co-hosting Chapter Four starting on June 24th!

I just finished reading the second chapter of Guided Math.  For years, we have spent so much focus on reading and we finally found that Guided Reading works for a lot of students and classrooms.  It now seems so silly to me that I did not make the connection between Guided Reading and teaching math.  I can use some of the same strategies, set-ups, and procedures to be more effective.  DUH!  That being said, a lot of the information in this chapter was not new to me.  However, applying it to math instruction was kind of new to me.  I always strive to create a warm, safe classroom with lots of access to books.  This year, I want to make sure my students also see the math when they walk in our classroom for the first time.  I am not exactly sure how I want to achieve this yet but I am pondering a math word wall.  I always leave a lot of blank space on my walls for all those anchor charts we will be creating too!  This year, I will be using math journals and I want to keep them in a basket so I can get to them easily.  Here are some other things from the chapter that stood out to me:

1.  The students look to the teacher to determine how to respond to each other

2.  Explicitly teach how to locate, use, and replace materials

3. Incorporate measurement into visualizing! Love, love, love it!

4. Turn on my math radar for connections

5. MODEL, MODEL, MODEL- expectations, procedures, thinking, writing, problem-solving, connecting...




3 comments:

  1. Katie-- I am thinking on the same wave length as you...trying to figure out exactly how I can make math as visible as I should (with limited wall space!). It seems like almost every space is already dedicated! I'm sure that's not true...but I've just not wrapped by brain around it yet!

    Loving this book!!
    Primary Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you linked up, Katie!

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie,
    I am a little late to the party as I just got my book in the mail yesterday and am trying very hard to get caught up:) Just finished Chap 2 and couldn't agree with you more...I knew all this stuff worked for Reading...why didn't I make that connection???? I have always had a Math Word Wall but will admit it has a lot to be desired...I have some work to do:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete