Monday, August 22, 2011

Meet The Teacher Monday


I am really excited to read the new blog Blog Hoppin'! Some of my favorite blog stars are going to be  writing it!  They are hosting Meet the Teacher Monday and you know I had to be a part of that!

A Little About Me...
I am the youngest of three girls (can you imagine how much fun we have together?!!).  I grew up in Mississippi and I always knew I wanted to be a teacher.  I remember seating in school and thinking: "When I have my classroom I can going to to it this way."  When I graduated high school, I went to a small liberal arts college here in Birmingham called Birmingham-Southern.  The main reason I went there was because both of my sisters did but it ended up being the perfect place for me.  Not only did I get to travel some, I was in the classroom teaching my sophomore year! I have taught lessons in every grade from K4-7th.  I did my student teaching in 1st and 4th grade and was convinced that I wanted to be a 1st grade teacher.  Well, the job I got offered was for 4th grade and four years later here I am! I love my 4th graders.  They are the perfect age group for me right now.  They amaze with the connections they make and their humor and observations.

My Addictions...
 Teacher blogs, Pinterset, Children's books, Grey's Anatomy, chap stick, Diet Dr. Pepper, Alabama football!

This year I am looking forward to...
 I am really excited to get to know my students better.  I am also looking forward to working with my wonderful 4th grade team! As always, I am looking forward to learning and becoming a better teacher.

I need to improve...
  So many things! I want to do more small group small instruction so I can reach all my babies! I want to start test prep earlier so I don't have to go testing crazy on my kids.  I want to talk to my students about the books they are reading and encourage them to talk to their classmates as well.  And I really want on parent communication.  I dislike calling parents but I want to build strong relationships with them so if there is ever a problem they know I am there to help.  I sent every parent a handwritten note the first week of school.  Oh and I want to be more patient with my kids and myself!

4 comments:

  1. I used to love Grey's but I just kind of quit watching right around the time that Izzy died. I heard it's gotten better again, but I don't think I can catch up again!

    I am completely with you on the parent communication. It's hard for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like some great goals for the school year!! Can't wait to hear about your fabulous fourth graders this year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Calling parents is one of my LEAST favorite things, too. Something I definitely need to work on!

    ReplyDelete